No, we’re definitely not wearing blankets in July. But that doesn’t mean I’m not having to deal with them! On Friday we gathered all of the blankets from the various places they are kept around the farm and got them all into the barn. It is time to get all of the blankets in for cleaning and repair as I have procrastinated on this task for far too long. I know what a huge pain it is to do this and am not above admitting that I’ve just plain avoided it for the last couple of months.
So we hauled blanket loads to the barn, knocked the dust off of them, and then re-labeled all of them with the horse’s names. Because I have so many blankets (approaching 100) to get to the lady who does the cleaning and repairs for me they have to all be neatly folded as well. There is no way I could take them to her all in one trip if I tried to just stuff them unfolded in the back of the truck. It takes awhile to neatly fold that many blankets! Then we put them in stacks of 2-4 blankets each and tie them with baling twine. Then we had to pack all of the bundles into the back of the truck. It seems like it wouldn’t be a big deal but this is a HUGE task!
It was a relief to finally drop all of these dirty blankets off this weekend. At least I am no longer looking at all of these blankets hanging everywhere and acting as a reminder to me that I will have to tackle this task. Aside from the gargantuan blanket job we were just business as usual this weekend. We did get a good bit of rain this afternoon and I could see that most of the horses had taken advantage of it and rolled in the mud around the gates. We definitely needed the rain so I didn’t mind the muddy horses!