top of page
  • hoffywhf

Girl on Fire

Today I was the girl on fire, and unfortunately not in a Katniss Everdeen “I’m going to conquer the world” kind of way. For the person that rarely gets sick I feel like I’ve spent more time being sick than not being sick the last few weeks. After enjoying a small reprieve from being sick for much of April I found myself right back on the sick list last week. Finally today I couldn’t take it anymore and I caved and went to the doctor. I haven’t been on antibiotics for anything in like five years but I am now. Normally even when I do get sick I get well all on my own but not this time.

Jason has been driving me crazy about going to see a doctor the last few days. After another sleepless night thanks to coughing and drainage I was running on empty this morning. I had to get up early to start feeding as we had an 8am vet appointment. That meant I had to start working not later than 5:30am. Although I am not naturally a morning person early mornings on the farm don’t bother me at all. It is actually my favorite part of running the farm, watching the sunrise and feeding the horses.

This morning it took me almost two hours, until a little after 7am, to realize I was wearing my shirt inside out. I looked down and was like “why is there a tag on the seam of my shirt?” It took me a few seconds to process that I had my shirt on inside out. At that moment I decided it was time to wave the white flag and admit I wasn’t beating this cold, that instead it has been beating the crap out of me for the better part of two months.

When we were done with morning chores and waiting for the vet I told Jason that I planned to go to the doctor. Since he was sure this decision was a result of his incessant nagging and was unaware of my inside-out clothing he told me how wise my decision was. Of course in true horse person fashion I meant I was going to the doctor after I had done a bunch of things.

We held a few horses for the vet and Jason assumed I was going to immediately go to the doctor. Instead I bathed and body clipped Rubrico, then went around re-filling SmartPaks and medications at the various barns. Then I repaired a couple of feedbags, swept, updated feed charts, helped put out fly traps, did evening chores and then went to the doctor.

The doctor took one look at me, my ears, my throat and my glands and informed me I would be getting both a steroid shot and an antibiotic shot. When the super friendly male nurse came back in to administer said shots I assumed the position. As I stood there with my shorts pulled down he told me “since you don’t have much fat on your bum this antibiotic shot is going to really sting and probably leave a bruise. I just wanted to warn you, I’m sorry.”

Since I was the one in the compromised position and he held the needles I reigned in all the sarcastic replies I wanted to say. Ummm, thanks? And you’re sorry about what? My bony butt, my poorly arranged fat deposits or my inevitable stinging and bruising? Or maybe all of the above? I’d love to re-arrange my fat deposits and take the abdominal fat and place it on my butt. I could go for the J-Lo look which would be tons better than the look I’ve got going now.

However, he did hold the needles, I didn’t want to ruin our lovely rapport we had developed, and I do think he was trying to be nice. So I just smiled and said we all had our problems in life. I have to admit I was kind of glad he warned me because my butt felt like it was on fire after those two shots. I waddled out to my car and called Jason to give him an update. He then informed me that the pharmacy always took at least an hour to fill his prescriptions (I wouldn’t know these things since I haven’t had a prescription in years) and I should just come home.

Seeing as how my a$$ was on fire I wasn’t really loving the idea of driving home and then driving back to the pharmacy again so I decided I would wait for my prescriptions. Since the universe likes me better than Jason I only had to wait about five minutes for my prescriptions. Then I waddled my on fire a$$ back to my car and drove home.

As I said to Jason when I got home, “my a$$ feels like it is on fire and it is all your fault for constantly berating me to go to the doctor. I had better feel amazing by tomorrow.” He didn’t have much to say to that. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.


Jason took this picture of Jo, one of the World’s Cutest Fainting Goats. She likes to “smile” at everyone. It is hard to have a bad day when you are greeted with Jo’s smile.

Rubrico in progress

the finished product, nice and shiny

Bruno and Lucky

There was a lot going on when I took this picture. In the front Remmy and Hesse are grooming and in the back Merlin and Duesy were playing.

Clayton and Donovan; Donvoan did not spontaneously acquire a new facial marking, he just had a giant area of mud ground into his face.

Largo and River

Dolly, Calimba and MyLight

Traveller and Maisie; Maisie is the go-to groomer in her pasture

Blu and B-Rad under a pretty morning sky

Rocky, Kennedy and Oskar

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Blog Issues Persist

I am still unable to upload pictures to the blog. There are currently two ways to view the pictures. You can visit the Paradigm Farms Facebook page by clicking here. You can also visit our old blog lo

Wednesday Pictures

I am still unable to post any media (pictures/video) to the blog. Since I cannot add pictures to the blog I am posting the pictures twice per week to the Paradigm Farms Facebook page. The farm faceboo

Blog Issues Continue

I am currently unable to upload any pictures or videos to the blog. While we work to rectify this problem I am uploading the pictures to the farm’s Facebook page. The page is public and you do not nee


bottom of page